Friday, May 17, 2013

Munich Lager

Recipe: click here

I've enjoyed all my lagers and continue to have great success. Up until this lager I've used no flavored malts. I suck to traditional hops and pilsner malts. This lager has two flavored malts each with 8 oz. Not a lot of flavor malts but I wanted to see the difference. These additions darkened the lager and gave it more full body. It reminds me of some of the German Lagers I had last year while in Germany. Definitely darker and more full body the Helles and most of the main stream Pils.

Like all the lagers, this requires about three weeks to ferment and about 5 more weeks to lager into a nice beer. This is all done in a temperature controlled chest freezer.

I've stopped making yeast starter and have had great success pitching yeast into 100F wort. Fermentation is slow as expected but my FG achieves success each time. During fermentation, about 3 weeks into the fermentation, rotten eggs aromas does happen but completely disappears  with additional lagering.

Bitterness is a bit on the sharp side. It goes well with this lager with more body but I would consider using a lower Alpha hop next time of add the bittering hop at 50 minutes. The clarity of the beer is perfect. Notice I don't filter my beer, nor do I need to. This beer clears up nicely with lagering.

No comments:

Post a Comment