CUPERTINO HOME BREWER -
Complete Recipes with Results.
Beer Tastings and Notes
Stout Beer Tasting Thurs. Nov. 7th 4-6pm
$5 at the Wine Club - San Jose, CA
From left to Right A,B,C, D,E,F
"This month our beer tasting will focus on Stouts. As the winter months approach, the rich, warming nature of these beers, is perfect to break the chill. Here is a tentative list of what we will be tasting (substitutions and additions are possible)." - Wine Club San Jose
My comments are in blue.
All are stouts I would enjoy. Nothing was too over the edge. None of these really stood out except for Midnight Sun.
E) Midnight Sun 'Moscow' Russian Imperial Stout 22oz 10.7% $11.99 Molasses! My fav of the bunch. Full of flavours.
G) Uinta Crooked Line 'Labyrinth' Black Ale 750ml 13% $12.99
Nothing special but generally very good. dry finish
B) Victory 'Storm King' Imperial Stout 12oz 9% $2.49 Warm bitter, nod bad. seems like a lot of whole hops added in flame out. Soft foamy beer.
A) Dieu Du Ciel! Aphrodite Stout brewed w/ Cocoa and Vanilla 330ml 6.5% $4.99 Lite dry, easy drinking
C) Green Flash 'Double Stout' 12oz 8.8% $1.99 Yummy nice, lite finish and dry
D) Mikkeller/ Amager Hr. Frederiken Weasel Brunch Stout 500ml 10.7% $11.99 Good but bitter end. ok. Most bitter of the lot.
15 beers to taste for $10 at the Wine Club in San Jose.
Nicely presented in small white wine glasses. The beers started off very light then turned to a couple of IPAs then sours and stouts. Such variation with no theme made it harder to compare beers. Looking for to doing it again each month.
1. Trois Dames 'L'amouresuse' - Ale brewed with grapes
- a wine cooler. Is this really a beer?
2. Dieu du Ciel 'Blanche du Paradis' - Wheat beer brewed with spices
- Light wheaty fresh but yeasty
3. Prairie 'Standard' - Hoppy Farmhouse Ale
- Dry hopped but no big aroma
- Smooth and bitter
4. De Proef 'Flemish Primitive' - Wild Yeast Belgian Ale
- Small disturbance of funk, ew
- Fruit in background
5. Gigantic IPA - Hoppy 'West Coast style' IPA
- Similar to my strong IPA
- Lots of hop flavour, some aroma
- Maybe a bit on the heavy side with crystal malts
6. Oskar Blues 'Deviant Dales' IPA - Big, rich, Colorado IPA
- Duval meets stout
- lovely well rounded beer, smooth finish - Good dark beer
- very enjoyable but this does not seem like a practical stout
Four more beers at Bobby G's in Berkley.
Pliny in photo.
Tricerahops IPA - aggressive hop flavor balanced with aroma. Low carbonation. Very nice strong hoppy beer. More hoppy than Pliny.
Pliny the elder - low carb low to no flavored malts, nice mouth feel with great aroma. Goes down nice. A beer to measure all others.
Berryessa - strong hop berry flavor, great mouth feel, bit heavier than Pliny. My fav of the beer tonight.
East Bay Bay IPA - Did not like this. Retuned it after a few sips Sharp hop flavor I'm no impressed with. I've made beers with this same flavor and thought it was contaminated but its just the wrong hop at the wrong time of the boil.
United Lounge Bosnus
Big Daddy IPA
Very pale bitter ale with pleasant aroma and solid hop flavour. Bitterness is over done. Very drinkable. Probably a lot of 15 minute hops in the boil. Not bad, not great.